10/05/2015

A COLD ISLAND

ICELAND


Iceland is a Nordic island country between the North Atlantic and the Artic Ocean. His capital and largest city is Reykjavík. It has 329.100 inhabitants, is the most sparsely populated country in Europe. Their national day is June 17th.

Their official language is Icelandic and 
their flag is blue with a cross white and red.

Here I show you the anthem of Iceland in their own lyrics and in english.

The currency is the Islandic króna.

Iceland is volcanically and geologically active.
The interior of the country consists of a plateau characterized by sand and lava fields, mountains and glaciers, while many glacial rivers flow to the sea through the lowlands. Thanks to the effects of the Gulf Stream, has a temperate climate relative to its latitude and provides a habitable environment, despite a high latitude just outside the Arctic Circle.



All of this is a little boring so I have found another good and amazing video about the incredible landscape of Iceland, I have seen it and for me is very beautiful, so I just hope you enjoy.


In the second photo, the view has been taken from the space, as you see Iceland is a beautiful country and that's one of the reasons which I have chosen Iceland.

I little bit of history

From 1262 to 1918, Iceland was ruled by Norway and later Denmark. The country became independent in 1918 and a republic in 1944.

I decided to summarize the history in another video, I promise it's the last one. Because I think is easier if you see by videos the history or the landscape.

If you want to eat..

Because for many centuries fishing was the main driver of the economy, consumption of seafood is the mainstay of most dishes in its gastronomy. Due to the island's climate, fruits and vegeetables are not generally a component of traditional dishes, although the use of greenhouses has made them more common in contemporary food.
The main meat consumed is the lamb, the horse, cow and reindeer.

Þorramatur is a selection of traditional 
cuisine consisting of many dishes, and is usually 
consumed around the month of Þorri
which begins on the first Friday after 19 January. 
Traditional dishes also include skyrhákarl (cured shark), 
cured ram, singed sheep heads, and black pudding.


Iceland's national drink is the brennivín, an alcoholic drink made with fermented potato pulp, it's similar to vodka.

Something to play?

Sport is an important part of Icelandic culture, as the population is generally quite active. The main traditional sport in Iceland is Glíma, a form of wrestling thought to have originated in medieval times.
Popular sports include association football, track and field, handball and basketball. Iceland has excellent conditions for skiing, fishing, snowboarding, ice climbing and rock climbing, although mountain climbing and hiking are preferred by the general public.

As you know more about Iceland, what do you think about it?

And now, the questions:

1.- What do you think about the second video? In what minute do you see the most do you like?

2.- What happened in the years 1874, 1915 and 1944? (The last video)

3.- Would you like to practise any of the typical sports?

4.- Would you like try the food? 







12 comments:

  1. Hi!!

    1.- Iceland has incredible landscapes! I really enjoy the photo of 0:25 which shown a very pretty waterfall!
    2.- 1874: Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution, granting limiting home rules.
    1915: Universal suffrage is introduced.
    1944: Independence as a republic.
    3.- I'm prepared to play any sport! I love meeting new sports.
    4.- The Icelandic cuisine is not what attracts me from the country, But who knows, maybe the traditional food is good!

    See you on class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hii Anabel!

    1. In my opinion Iceland is a very beautiful place and I want to go there. In the minute 0:48 appear a very amazing landscape that I like so much.
    2. In 1874 Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution.
    In 1915 a Universal suffrage is introduced in Iceland.
    And in 1944 Iceland becomes independent as a republic .
    3. I love do sports, so I want to practise all of sports.
    4. No, I don't like this type of food.

    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.
    1.- For me, is a beautiful video because Iceland is a beautiful country.
    2.- -In 1874 Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution.
    -In 1915 a Universal suffrage is introduced.
    -In Independence as a republic.
    3.- I like very much the sport so, I want to practise any of the typical sport.
    4.- I don't like the food of Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anabel!

    1) I really like the waterfall that appear in the minute 2:30 because it's really big, and the surroundings are amazing.
    2) -In 1874: Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution, granting limiting home rules.
    -In 1915: Universal suffrage was introduced.
    -In 1944: The indepence of Iceland as a republic.
    3) Yes, I would like to practise all of these sports, because I love doing soprt, but the most sport that I would like tro practise is the snowboarding, because I think that is a very exciting sport.
    4) No, i don't like this type of food because is only meat, and the icelandic cuisine is really poor in vegetables and fruits, and I can't live without them.

    Bye, see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!
    1.- The video is really good! Iceland has things that are beatiful! The landscapes are incredible!!
    2.- 1874: Christian IX promulgated a constitution, the Icelandic Constitution.
    1915: Universal suffrage
    1944: Independece of Iceland as a republic.
    3.- For my doing sport is very important and also I love sport, so I would like to practise all of them!
    4.- No, because I don´t like this type of food

    Byee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hiiii

    1.- it's incredible
    2.- 1874: Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution.
    1915: Universal suffrage is introduced.
    1944: Independence as a republic.
    3.- for me, sport is very important for the life.
    4.- No, i don't like this type of food

    bye

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. It is amazing!
    2.-1874: Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution /1915: Universal suffrage is introduced./1944: Independence as a republic
    3.- For me the sport is the most important for live
    4.- I hate this type of food

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. It is amazing!
    2.-1874: Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution /1915: Universal suffrage is introduced./1944: Independence as a republic
    3.- For me the sport is the most important for live
    4.- I hate this type of food

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    1. I really like this country and with this video I want to go there
    2. 1874- Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution
    1915-Universal suffrage wasintroduced.
    1944- Independence like a republic.
    3.I don´t like very much sports I this type I don´t like
    4. I think I don´t like this food but I am going to try it one day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!
    1.- It was amazing hte country and the landscapes are beautiful.
    2.- 1874: Christian IX promulgated Icelandic constitution.
    1915: Universal suffrage is introduced.
    1944: Independence as a republic.
    3.- Yes of course because I like all the sports in the wordl.
    4.- This food.... I try to eat but I don´t know.
    BYE

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anabeeel;)
    1.I like it so muuuch, in 0:54 with the waterfall and the rainbow, is so wonderful
    2. 1874: Christian IX promulgates the Icelandic constitution granting limited home rule
    1915:Universal suffrage was introduced
    1944:Independece like a republic
    3. Yes, I'd like to practise handball.
    4. I would try the food because I love the fish and I like it.

    Byeee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!
    1.- It's a very good video which has made me want to go there.

    2.- 1874- Icelandic constitution
    1915-Universal suffrage was introduced.
    1944- Iceland like a republic.

    3.- Yes of course,I love the sport so why not?

    4.- That depends hahaha

    ReplyDelete